Sunday, August 2, 2009

Faces_of_Bike_MS

About 4 weeks ago a friend and stylist who has worked on several of my projects sent out a group email letting people know that she had recently been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, a chronic, often disabling disease that attacks the central nervous system. She was encouraging her community of friends to volunteer and support the upcoming Bike MS event here in Oregon. I am sure that I could have passed out some cool beverages to overheated participants (it ended up being 90F+ on the day of the ride), repaired bikes in need, etc., but I instead jumped at the opportunity to donate a day of my time and put together a little project that has since become known as "Faces of Bike MS." We set up a little impromptu studio at the finish line and captured the riders as they completed their 35, 55, 75 or 100 mile rides - sweaty, teary-eyed, smiling and for the most part exhausted. It was actually a lot of fun - I slapped an X of gaff tape down on the pavement and a white seamless behind and just told them to show me how they felt about the ride, the event and whoever they happened to be there riding for. I should have something more up on my portfolio site soon, but here is a quick glimpse at some of the characters. Even though the ride is over this year, if you feel inclined to make a donation you can do it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment