Monday, November 9, 2009

CCXSSWC

The Cyclocross Single Speed World Championships (CCXSSWC) were in town this weekend. I recall when I moved to Portland a few years back and started riding cross that on the Cross Crusade schedule there was a notation of the championships for that season being held in Portland and I thought, "Wow, that's got to be like hosting the Super Bowl in your home city." Well, in reality, it's more like combining the Super Bowl (yes, there are super fit riders who take part) with Mardi Gras, a roller derby tournament, Octoberfest, a tatoo convention and a bout of mud wrestling. Actually, that description is pretty right on. The theme of this year's event was "Beyond Thunderdome" and although I haven't seen the movie myself, I am pretty sure that whatever it entails it would be a let down compared to what I witnessed this weekend. The course included the usual display off camber hills, muddy run-ups, barriers to leap, and fast 'all-out' straight away, but also showcased a 40 foot tall geodesic dome with a handful of charachters clad in post-apocolyptic attire hanging from ropes and launching marshmallows at riders coming through. If you don't believe me that any of this really exists - well, there are photos above to prove it or you can check for yourself here. Raleigh has produced a pretty sweet limited edition frameset to commorate the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment